The Project Monitoring Group (PMG), Invest India is an institutional mechanism for the expedited resolution of issues and regulatory bottlenecks in projects with investments upward Rs. 500 Crores in India. It was set up as a special cell in the Cabinet Secretariat, Government of India in 2013 and was subsequently brought under the administrative control of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) in 2015. With effect from 14th February, 2019, PMG has been merged with the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry. This relocation was enabled in order to create a one-stop facilitation destination for investors at all stages of the investment process, including issue resolution.
The PMG seeks to enlist the unresolved project issues in respect of all mid and large sized Public, Private and ‘Public–Private Partnership’ (PPP) Projects and takes up fast-tracking of approvals, sectoral policy issues and removal of bottlenecks in expeditious commissioning. DPIIT is mandated as the nodal body for the review of public and private projects facing challenges and facilitates their resolution through PMG.
There are several projects from key sectors for which the PMG undertakes issue resolution. The projects are largely from the infrastructural nature, however PMG accepts projects from all sectors, as long as they meet the threshold requirement. These projects typically emanate from sectors such as:
- Road Transport & Highways, Railways, Civil Aviation
- Inland Waterways, Ports and Shipping
- Chemicals, Fertilizers and Petrochemicals
- Coal and Mines
- Urban Development
- Health and Family Welfare
- Telecommunication and IT Services
The issues taken up by PMG are both at Union and State-Level. These include:
- Union Ministries
- Environment, Forest and Wildlife Clearances
- Eco Sensitive Zone clearance
- Tree cutting permission
- Grant of Working permission by forest Department
- Approval for private railways siding construction
- Industrial License Permission
- Road Crossing of Pipelines/Transmission lines
- Grant of Right of Way
- Shifting of Utilities
- Any other central government clearance/approval
- State Governments
- Land Acquisition issues such as issue of Government Notifications/ Disbursement of Compensation, transfer of title and handing over of possession of land and related issues.
- Removal of encroachments
- Approval and implementation of Relief and Rehabilitation plan
- Issue of No Objection Certificate under Forest Rights Act
- Grant of Power and Water supply connections
- Grant/ Issue of Consent to Establish (COE) and Consent to Operate(COE) from State Pollution Control Board.
- Transfer of Government Land
- Support of State Govt agencies for Law and Order issues
- Grant of Right of Way/ Right of Use permission
- Any other State Govt. clearance/ approval