Shri Narendra Modi, Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, and Shri Shinzo Abe, Hon’ble Prime Minister of Japan, announced the India–Japan Investment Promotion Partnership at Tokyo, on 1 September 2014. Under this Partnership, Japan has offered to invest 3.5 trillion Yen (US $ 33.5 Billion) in India by way of public and private investment and financing over the next five years.
The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, set up “Japan Plus”, a special management team to facilitate and fast track investment proposals from Japan to achieve this goal.
Japan Plus is operational from 8th October, 2014. It comprises representatives from Government of India and representatives from Government of Japan.
Presently Japan Plus is functioning from Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. A special dedicates team in Invest India has been assigned to Japan Plus to facilitate Japanese companies in India.
Role of Japan Plus
- Support Government of India in initiating, attracting, facilitating, fast tracking and handholding Japanese investments across sectors.
- Provide updated information on investment opportunities across sectors, in specific projects and Japan Industrial Townships in particular.
- Be in constant touch with existing Japanese companies in India to highlight their concerns to the relevant Government Department/Ministries for early resolution
- Functional cell in the Government of India to co-ordinate & collate investment proposals being pursued by all Ministries/Departments / State Governments.
- Assistance to Core-Group: A Core-group has been set up under the chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary with Secretaries of following 17 Ministries/Departments to realize 3.5 trillion Yen. Railway Board; Ministry of External Affairs; Dept of Economic Affairs, Dept of Expenditure, Dept of Financial Services; Dept of Revenue; Ministry of Medium, Small & Micro Industries; Department of Commerce; Ministry of Urban Affairs; Ministry of Textiles; Dept of Defence Production; Dept of Electronics & Information Technology; M/O Food Processing; D/O Heavy Industries; D/O science and technology; D/O Industry Policy and Promotion; and NMCC.
- Japan Plus provide assistance to Core-Group to ensure that investments from Japan as envisaged in India–Japan Investment Promotion Partnership are facilitated in various sectors and opportunities for investment and technology transfer are fully exploited.
- Japan Chamber of Commerce & Industry in India (JCCII) annually submits issues of Japanese companies operating in India in the form of suggestions to Govt. of India. An institutional mechanism has been set up in DPIIT for resolution of issues by organising meetings with all Stakeholders. Japan Plus provides assistance in resolution of these issues by way of coordinating with all the stakeholders.
More about Japan Plus: This may be linked to the link “Country Desks” on the website of Invest India which provides details about the Japan Plus Team and its functioning etc.
Japan Industrial Townships : We may provide information about JITs and upload the progress report in respect of each of the JITs. This may be updated as and when updated report is received from all concerned States.